Sunday, August 28, 2011

Verse of the Week

Sacre Coeur - Paris, France - September 2010

Lately I have had lots of worry swirling around in my head.  I have always been a worrier; sometimes more than others. I know what the bible says about worry, yet sometimes it is hard for me to let go and let God take care of it. One day, a few months ago, I was in the car riding back from Oxford with my mom and our three dogs. I kept looking in the backseat at my little yorkie, Scooter. He was freaking out; whining and panting...worrying. (I guess he thought we were going to drop him off at the vet) I kept saying "calm down, you are fine." "we are just going home" I actually got frustrated that he wouldn't calm down. Suddenly, the analogy hit me. I knew that everything was fine and that Scooter was going to be ok, but he didn't know that he was worrying for nothing. It made me think of God and how He must feel when we worry. It must be frustrating to Him that we stress and worry over things that we can't control. He knows that everything is going to work out for the special plan He has for our lives. The worry seems kind of ridiculous and unnecessary when you look at it from the other side. This may seem like a dumb analogy to some people, but when I am worrying, it helps me put things into a better perspective. The last day or two I have noticed that my fingertips are peeling...a family trait when we are under a lot of stress. It has never happened to me before. Although I don't feel overly stressed in my mind, my body is showing the signs. I decided to re-read a passage on worry in Matthew 6.

"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to  you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own"

Some wise words to think on and live by. It's going to be hard for me to drop the worrying, but I'm working on it!  Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment