Recently, we had a family picnic at the reservoir to celebrate my Aunt Julie's birthday. She requested Key Lime Cupcakes for her "birthday cake" so my Aunt Jene' and I made them for the picnic. My Aunts found the recipe on a website called My Wicked Whisk. I have had other key lime cupcakes before, but these are by far the best I have tried! They are pretty too!
Key Lime Cupcakes: (makes about 18 to 2o standard sized cupcakes)
Graham Cracker Crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 18-20 cupcake liners in muffin tins.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat butter, sugar, and lime zest at medium speed until fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add key lime juice and vanilla extract. Mix just until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt and whisk until well combined.
4. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
5. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients for graham cracker crust and mix well.
6. Put a scant teaspoon of the graham cracker crust mix into each cupcake liner and pack down. (I use a wine cork for this) You should have some left over to use as a garnish later.
7. Scoop the cake batter on to the graham cracker crust in each of the liners. They should be about 3/4 full.
8. Bake at 350 for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost.
Key Lime frosting:
1. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, cream together butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy (about 2 to 3 minutes).
2. Add lime juice, zest and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time and mix until very well combined.
4. You may want to add just a touch of green food coloring to your frosting. I used a tiny drop of Electric Lime color gel.
5. Put frosting into a piping bag and chill for about 15 minutes. Pipe onto cupcakes and then garnish with whipped cream, sliced limes and graham cracker crumb mixture.