Sunday, November 20, 2011

Butternut Squash Pizza

About a month ago, my Aunt Julie made homemade pizza for a bunch of family members at my Aunt Jene's house. One of the two that she made was a butternut squash pizza. I have just recently begun to like butternut squash so I gave it a try. It was fantastic! I couldn't wait to go home and make it again for myself. I lost the recipe that she gave me, so I re-created it as best as I could from memory. Here is my version:


Ingredients:
homemade or pre-made pizza crust (I bought a pre-made one)
1 small to medium sized butternut squash
1 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
arugula
goat cheese
shredded mozzarella
fresh rosemary
store bought balsamic glaze
olive oil
salt & pepper






First, peel and cut the squash (I only used about 3/4 of the squash) into about a 1/4" dice. Then chop 1/2 of the onion into a small dice. Chop a few sprigs of the fresh rosemary as well, discarding the stems. On a baking sheet, spread out the diced squash, onion, rosemary and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. Toss about halfway through. When the squash is fork tender, it is ready. While the squash was roasting, I also put my pizza crust in the oven with some olive oil on it to brown the top.






After the crust comes out of the oven, cut the last clove of garlic in half and rub the crust with the cut side of the garlic. Then discard the garlic. Next, sprinkle the top of the crust with shredded mozzarella and crumbled goat cheese.





Next, add some arugula and then the roasted squash and onion mixture



Last, drizzle the top of the pizza with the balsamic glaze and sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper.


Now, put the pizza back into the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Take it out, slice, and enjoy!! I hope you like it as much as I do!


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE butternut squash...I will definitely be trying this pizza out soon!

    ReplyDelete