Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Chicken Piccata



Chicken Piccata is one of my favorite dishes ever. I love the thin pieces of chicken that you can cut with a fork and that lemony, butter sauce just seems to melt in your mouth...omg, yum! Anyway, I decided to make a recipe by Giada de Laurentiis because it had really good reviews on FoodNetwork.com. Hers was delicious, but I ended up making a few changes based on my personal taste. Here is my version:

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
all-purpose flour for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 to 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice (i like it really lemony, so I used 2/3!)
2/3 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup fresh parsley
angel hair pasta (i wanted to have pasta with mine, but the chicken is also great on a bed of arugula!)

*tip: it helps everything go more smoothly if you go ahead and have everything measured and chopped before you begin. The French call it "mise en place" which means "everything in its place". It is a great tip that will be useful to you in all kinds of cooking!




Also, I have to have a little Frank with me in the kitchen. Makes me happy :)



Directions:
Place chicken breast on cutting board or flat surface and cover with wax or parchment paper. Pound with a mallet or rolling pin until its about 1/4" thick. Next, season chicken with salt and pepper. Pour flour out onto a plate and then dredge chicken in flour to coat, shaking off excess.


In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter starts to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for about 3 minutes. (you can tell when it's time to flip when the edges start turning white) Then, flip and cook on other side for 3 more minutes. 





Remove and transfer to a plate


Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to skillet and 1 more tablespoon olive oil if necessary. (I didn't add any more oil after the first time) Repeat the same process with the last 2 chicken breasts and transfer them to the plate as well. Remove pan from heat. Into the pan add the lemon juice and chicken stock. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan with a wooden spoon for extra flavor. Add a little salt and pepper if necessary.



Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add last 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and whisk vigorously. (Since I added more lemon juice and stock to the original recipe, I added a little extra butter at this point to thicken the sauce a bit more...like 1 or 2 more Tbsp.) Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley. *Since I included angel hair pasta this time, I plated the cooked pasta first, then topped with the chicken. I then poured the sauce over the top and garnished with parsley. 




et voila!
Bon app├ętit!















No comments:

Post a Comment