Thursday, July 18, 2013

New York Trip: Part Three


This post is a bit of a mash-up of my next few days in NYC. Monday, Shane and I went to meet Kelsey for lunch near her office building in the Flatiron district. Shane wanted to go to a Cambodian sandwich place called Num Pang. I was totally skeptical. I mean, Cambodian sandwiches?? It sounded totally weird to me and not in a good way. Thankfully, I kept my thoughts to myself and decided to just go for it. I am so glad I did! Num Pang was awesome!! It's a total hole in the wall place with graffiti on the walls and loud music playing. It was packed with people waiting in line to order at the counter. I got the ginger BBQ brisket sandwich and a freshly squeezed watermelon juice. Soo good! We walked to the little park right in front of the Flatiron building to eat and have a quick chat before Kelsey had to go back to work.  After lunch, Shane and I shopped around the area going to Eataly, Fishs Eddy, J.Crew, Madewell, and a few other places. 

The Flatiron Building

My ginger BBQ brisket sandwich and watermelon juice from Num Pang

a few of my purchases from the day of shopping - I seemed to have a thing for grey and black!

a view of the Empire State Building from E. 16th Street and Madison Avenue

The next day, I went to Luke's Lobster with Shane for lunch. I have to go there every time I'm in New York now. I just love that place! Gotta love a lobster roll! :) After lunch, Shane went home to work on some homework and I set off for a day of shopping around Columbus Circle and Soho. On the way home, I stopped by Momofuku's Milk Bar for a cereal milk ice cream with corn flake crunch! Ok, don't judge me, but I totally had three of those while I was in NYC. It's just so refreshing and yummy without being overly sweet. Who doesn't love to drink the milk out of their cereal bowl once all the cereal is gone? Imagine that taste, but ice cream! Yum! :)

Lobster roll, kettle chips and a blueberry soda from Luke's Lobster

Cereal milk ice cream with corn flake crunch from Milk Bar 

 The next day, Shane took me to their gym for a little morning workout. I definitely needed it after all the foodie adventures of the week! After that we walked to the far west side to the Boat Basin Cafe for a little happy hour. It had a beautiful view of the Hudson River. Later, we went to the Times Square area to try to win tickets to the broadway show The Book of Mormon. We didn't win that one, so we walked down to the theater showing Kinky Boots and put our names in for that lottery. We didn't win that one either. We decided to go check into ticket prices at the TKTS booth and found a pretty good deal on some tickets to Phantom of the Opera. I have always been a bit obsessed with the music from Phantom. I also have the movie, but have never seen the musical. I was completely overwhelmed by it. I have always been easily brought to tears by beautiful things; be it a song, a picture, a quote, etc. 
I teared up so many times during Phantom just because of how wonderful the music was and how amazing the sets were. Seeing Phantom was definitely one of the major highlights of my trip!


a cool plant-trimmed brownstone on the way to the gym

the steps to the Boat Basin

the view from the Boat Basin Cafe

the Boat Basin Cafe

The Majestic Theater

vodka tonic and playbill in hand - waiting for the show to start!


Showtime!

 Tomorrow, I'll share what I did on my last day in the city. I hope you have a fabulous Friday!




No comments:

Post a Comment